With the new school year quickly approaching, many rising high school seniors are preparing to begin their all-important college applications (the CommonApp opens August 1st!). If you’re one of these students, there is a good chance that you were born in the year 2001. Other than you joining the world, what was happening that year? More importantly, what was happening at Catholic University that year? Read on to find out about everything from fashion mishaps to DIII Victories to CD organization tactics of the great year 2001.
- George W. Bush was sworn into presidency
- NASA launched Genesis space probe
- Leaning Tower of Pisa was reopened after 11 years
- Dennis Tito was the first space tourist
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Monster’s Inc, Lord of the Rings, and SHREK all had their box-office debuts
- The most important (fashion) event took place….Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears wore matching Canadian Tuxedos to the MTV Music Awards
- Apple introduced its first iPod and Microsoft released the first version of Xbox
- Tina Fey and Jimmy Fallon were the hosts of “Weekend Update” on Saturday Night Live
- Hit songs included “All for You” by Janet Jackson, “Drops of Jupiter” by Train, “Hanging by a Moment” Lifehouse, “Independent Woman” by Destiny’s Child, “I Hope You Dance” by Lee Ann Womack, and “This I Promise You” by NSYNC
- The very first Kidz Bop album was released. The album’s opening song? “All Star” by Smash Mouth
CATHOLIC U in 2001 (as told by many old issues of The Tower)
- Men’s Basketball won the DIII Championship!!!! (See video below–TV quality was amazing back then)
- Men’s basketball also played the Harlem Globetrotters on Monday November 19th
- The Catholic University football team won their Homecoming Game, roll cards!
- The Debate team made it to the final 16 (of 72 teams) in a tournament at Harvard University
- The musical theater and drama departments were busy putting on some great performances of The Trojan Women, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Into the Woods, Godspell, and Fen
- The Men’s swim team lost their first meet since 1999
- Catholic U hosted a summer school session in Hawai’i
- The Class of 2005 arrived at Catholic U!